My first website was started in 1994/95 just after I had purchased a book on HTML 2/3. It had a light grey background and some cheesy ray-traced graphics. As this was around the time I was doing my GCSE's it became a way of trying to revise whilst doing a website at the same time. Needless to say it didn't work out and so it under went a re-think, and re-design.
Slowly but surely my frustration with ArcSite increased. I often experienced a slow connection to it and on many occasions were unable to connect to it, so that I could update my website. At some point surfing my first year at University I did some research into free web space on the Internet and discovered Tripod. In fact I discovered Tripod.co.uk, but then changed to Tripod.com as I couldn't do nested directories on the UK variant. This was when the website under went a significant re-design, although not as thorough as before and I tried to produce different versions for HTML 3.2 and 2 and a plain text one as well.
Doing this was interesting, but difficult to maintain. Although in the course of doing this I did write a program that would update the non frame page from its respective main frame and with a few modifications I will make it available from my programs section.
At the end of January I bought the web address www.philipnet.com, which was after previously acquiring the address www.philipnet.co.uk through Free Net Name (www.freenetname.co.uk). About a month later I transferred the domain www.philipnet.com to EasySpace (www.easyspace.com) in order to have a dedicated pop3 account for this address.
Shortly after that I bought a second hand 33.6 external modem so that I could access the internet in Linux. It also meant that I could send and receive e-mails on the RISC OS side as well. By that stage I had signed up with Cable and Wireless Internet (www.cwcom.net) for net access and so I configured Linux to dial into them.
That setup lasted until October when I yet again changed web servers. This time it was Portland Communications (www.portland.co.uk) who I changed to. This change did mean that I lost the pop3 account and had to go for e-mail forwarding, but I didn't mind that.